Bush Rule Exempting Pesticide Application From Clean Water Act Protections Vacated
- Charlie Tebbutt, Western Environmental Law Center, 541-485-2471 ext 110
- Charles Caldart, National Environmental Law Center, 206-568-2853
- Cindy Deacon Williams, National Center for Conservation Science & Policy, 541-601-4737
- Sejal Choksi, San Francisco Baykeeper, 925-330-7757
- Scott Edwards, Waterkeeper Alliance 914.674.0622, x13
In yet another of a long list of stinging defeats for the Bush’s Environmental Protection Agency, the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals today issued a clear rebuke against the administration’s 2006 rule which exempted certain commercial pesticide applications from the oversight provided by Congress under the Clean Water Act. The Court held that pesticide residuals and biological pesticides constitute pollutants under federal law and therefore must be regulated under the Clean Water Act in order to minimize the impact to human health and the environment.